Gretna, Westside respond to NSAA decision revoking Dragons' title
OMAHA, Neb. -- The two schools involved in last November's Class A state championship football game have shared official statements following the Nebraska School Activities Association's Thursday decision forcing Gretna to vacate the title.
Gretna issued a statement via the school activities Twitter account Friday evening during which it said it was "disappointed" with the decision.
"In early December 2021, GPS was notified by the NSAA that a complain from Omaha Westside High School had been received which alleged that an ineligible student participated on the Gretna High School varsity football team during the 2021-22 season."
Omaha Westside superintendent Mike Lucas refuted parts of Gretna's claims in a tweet roughly an hour later.
"This is not Westside's situation to be involved in," Lucas said in the tweet. "Westside didn't lead any charge against Gretna."
"Gretna had a phenomenal season and will always be the 2021 champions in our opinion," Lucas said.
Gretna, which claimed a 7-3 victory over Westside to win the Class football crown in November, learned its fate at the Nebraska School Activities board meeting on Thursday.
The governing body for the state's high school activities ruled unanimously that the Dragons must forfeit the title and return their trophy after it was determined that they used an ineligible player. The player in question was ruled to have not correctly changed his address according to NSAA rules.
The NSAA said there will be no 2021 champion listed. The players can keep their championship medals, however.