Gas line struck on W Benjamin Ave. outside Godfather's
NORFOLK, Neb. -- Around 10 a.m. Norfolk Fire and Rescue responded to a gas line that had been struck on W. Benjamin Avenue outside of Godfather’s Pizza.
The result of the gas leak was caused by an excavation crew accidentally hitting the line.
NFR was able to patch the leak in a matter of minutes.
This is common for NFR as they have had to respond to similar calls like this throughout the year.
“We do respond to gas leaks as the result of excavation that takes place,” said Sam Funk, Norfolk Firefighter. “It does happen every once in a while, it's nothing new. We just make sure that the area is safe, we enter the area with our gas monitoring equipment and make sure there is no hazard to the public which is the case here.”
While there was no extensive damage as well as injuries, NFR explains the risks that these situations could carry.
“There is the risk of fire or explosion if gas gets trapped or builds up in an enclosed space,” Funk said. “Luckily, that wasn’t the case. It was exterior as the result of a paving project so there is no risk to the public at this time.”
The site is no longer considered dangerous.