NORFOLK, Neb. -- One person is dead after a northeast Nebraska apartment had to be evacuated for carbon monoxide.

It happened at a complex along W Benjamin Ave. in Norfolk on Tuesday evening.

Norfolk Fire officials said they were called to ventilate an apartment.

According to authorities, they found high levels of carbon monoxide and evacuated the building.

Officials said one person was hospitalized. A Norfolk dispatch report from Tuesday shows that they've upgraded the investigation to a death investigation.

There has been no word on what caused the high level of carbon monoxide.