Nebraska OKs disaster declaration for December wind storm

Nebraska Lt. Gov. Mike Foley signed a disaster declaration Wednesday to make state emergency money available to pay for damage caused by the severe wind storms earlier this month.

December 30, 2021Updated: December 30, 2021
News Channel NebraskaBy News Channel Nebraska

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Nebraska Lt. Gov. Mike Foley signed a disaster declaration Wednesday to make state emergency money available to pay for damage caused by the severe wind storms earlier this month.

The governor’s office said the state declaration is required before Nebraska can request a federal disaster declaration for public assistance. Foley signed the declaration at the direction of Gov. Pete Ricketts, who is out of the state.

The Dec. 15 storm knocked down power lines and trees around the state. State officials said they’re still conducting damage assessments.

Nebraska Emergency Management Assistant Director Erv Portis said the state will likely qualify for the federal government’s public assistance program but not its individual assistance program, based on the confirmed damage.

Regional

US92 raises record-breaking amount for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

US92 raises record-breaking amount for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Crofton dam race committee pledges thousands for Lewis & Clark Recreation Area trail project

Crofton dam race committee pledges thousands for Lewis & Clark Recreation Area trail project

Norfolk Panthers claim back-to-back state cheer titles

Norfolk Panthers claim back-to-back state cheer titles

Nebraska Game & Parks Program brings new class pet for students to learn from

Nebraska Game & Parks Program brings new class pet for students learn from